We’ve been asked a few times lately: why don’t we use ChatGPT to help with writing a resume and cover letter?
Crazy thing is, we’ve been using GPT-3 technology way before ChatGPT-3 was even released.
The only exception was that Rezi didn’t get the same amount of hype as ChatGPT did… But now more than ever, AI technology is becoming prominent for both individuals and businesses, especially with the recent launch of ChatGPT-4.
In this article, we’ll be comparing Rezi to ChatGPT when it comes to writing a professional resume and cover letter. We’ve also included how they both work as well as example use cases.
ChatGPT is a language model developed by OpenAI. This is an AI platform where you enter a prompt and then ChatGPT will generate a detailed human-like response for you. As ChatGPT has a large database, it can adapt to many different types of tasks.
How Does ChatGPT Work?
ChatGPT is designed to generate natural human responses to given prompts. Anyhow, here's a general overview of how ChatGPT works.
- Input: write a query or task for ChatGPT, then press enter.
- Wait for a response.
- Output: ChatGPT generates an answer in response to the prompt or query you’ve entered.
It's worth noting that ChatGPT's responses are generated based on the patterns and relationships learned from the massive amount of text data it’s been trained on. Moreover, it doesn’t have its own opinions or beliefs.
Example Use Case for Writing a Resume
Let’s go through a sample process of how ChatGPT could be useful for writing a professional resume.
- Ask ChatGPT to write a resume for your particular job position.
- Guidance: ask ChatGPT for help on what you should put on a resume, e.g. what to include in your work experience section.
- Resume sections: ask ChatGPT to write a resume section for you.
- Resume keywords: ask ChatGPT what relevant keywords you need to include in your resume.
Example Use Case for Writing a Cover Letter
This time, let’s go through a sample process of how ChatGPT could be useful for writing a professional cover letter.
- Guidance: ask ChatGPT for help on what to put on your cover letter.
- Cover letter writing: ask ChatGPT to write a cover letter for you.
- Generating ideas: ask for ideas on what to put on your cover letter or how to make your cover letter better.
- 8K context – $0.03 / 1K tokens – $0.06 / 1K tokens
- 32K context – $0.06 / 1K tokens – $0.12 / 1K tokens
- Fresh ideas: generate writing ideas so that you can overcome writer’s block.
- Content suggestions: rephrase your sentences by using ChatGPT’s recommendations.
- Requires specific prompts: ChatGPT is only as good as the prompts you write. This means it requires you to take initiative for the best response as opposed to being guided step-by-step like with Rezi.
- Not trained to follow the best practices: As shown in the example use case of writing a resume using ChatGPT, the experience section came last alongside a references section mentioning “available upon request.” The experience section should be listed first and a references section isn’t necessary nowadays on a resume.
- No customized templates: ChatGPT can generate and refine the text of your application but it doesn’t serve you with a resume or cover letter template.
The Verdict for ChatGPT
ChatGPT is certainly a powerful tool. It’s not surprising why so many people talk about it as it can generate a fast response for each of your queries. However, it still must be checked since the information provided isn’t always accurate.
Aside from job applications, it’s a resource that can be used for multiple different contexts like writing a blog post or report.
Though it’s useful for speeding up the writing process, it’s not the most effective for generating a resume and cover letter since it’s not specialized in those areas.
Rezi is a professional AI platform designed for building optimized resumes and cover letters that get past the applicant tracking system. It generates personalized text for both your resume and cover letter based on two things: the job description and your work background.
More than 414,000 job seekers use Rezi to create their job applications. Some of which have managed to secure interviews at even the most competitive companies including Apple and Tesla.
How Does Rezi Work?
Key features include:
- Professional AI writer
- AI keyword targeting
- Real-time content analysis
To be more specific, we’ll go through how each of these plays a part in creating a job application faster and better.
AI Resume Builder
The AI resume builder includes an AI writer and editor feature.
Here’s how it works.
- Select “create new resume” on your dashboard.
- Complete the form provided.
If you toggle the “target your resume” button, simply copy and paste the job description into the provided fields. This will come in handy for finding the keywords you need to include so you can optimize your resume for the company’s applicant tracking system.
- Fill in the forms provided for each resume section.
The first part is the header section, which is where you put in your contact details as shown below.
However, when you get to the other resume sections like the work experience, this is where you can use the AI writer/editor feature.
Here’s a live demonstration of the AI writer feature below.
- Edit and optimize your resume.
Once you reach the “finish up” tab, click on “explore my Rezi score.”
Edit your resume using the feedback provided by the content analysis feature. This is based on the best resume writing practices.
In the “finish up” tab, you can also edit any resume section headers if necessary.
From there, optimize your resume with Rezi’s AI keyword targeting feature as demonstrated in the video below.
- Export your resume.
Lastly, export your resume as a .PDF or .DOCX file.
AI Cover Letter Generator
It only takes a few seconds to create a tailored cover letter with Rezi’s AI cover letter generator.
Here’s how it works.
- After completing your resume in Rezi, head over to the “AI cover letter” tab.
- Fill in the fields provided on the right side of the page.
- Press “AI writer ready.”
- Press “save suggestion” if you’re happy with the result. Or you can press “AI writer generate” to try again.
- Export your cover letter as a .PDF or .DOCX file.
- Free: $0 (no card details required)
- Basic: $3/mo
- Pro: $29/mo
- Lifetime: $129 one-time payment.
All paid plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Beginner-friendly: It’s easy for professionals at all levels to create an ATS-friendly resume and cover letter as you’re guided each step of the way.
- Best writing practices: Unlike ChatGPT, Rezi is trained and designed to follow the best resume and cover letter writing practices.
- Professional templates: On top of generating your resume and cover letter text, Rezi provides you with a professionally formatted template.
- Generate better responses: The AI writer isn’t always perfect on the first try. There may be responses that better fit your preferences on the second or third try.
The Verdict for Rezi.ai
Rezi creates a personalized job application for you so that you can increase the likelihood of securing more interviews. Professionals at all levels use Rezi to put together a well-written resume and cover letter without having to spend as much time researching the company.
In contrast to ChatGPT, Rezi is specifically trained and designed to create ATS-friendly resumes and cover letters.
Moreover, Rezi ensures customer satisfaction as all plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can also sign up and get started for free.
The Bottom Line: Is Rezi Better Than ChatGPT?
Rezi and ChatGPT are both effective AI writers that can help you speed up the writing process.
However, Rezi’s specialty is in creating an optimized resume and cover letter that secures job interviews. This has always been Rezi’s goal since the beginning.
In other words, Rezi has a more targeted approach to creating tailored job applications whereas ChatGPT takes a more general approach.
Though ChatGPT can be a useful tool, it relies on you taking initiative. Meaning, ChatGPT relies on your knowledge of giving them the right context because the more specific the prompt, the better the response. So you won’t be able to maximize ChatGPT’s potential unless you’re asking the right questions.
On the other hand, Rezi lays everything out for you and walks you through a step-by-step process. By the end of it, you’ll have a professional resume and cover letter that’s ready to be sent.
And this isn’t just coming from us. We’ve also asked ChatGPT themselves – see what they had to say below.
Now if you’re interested in getting a high-quality resume and cover letter completed within the next few minutes…
If not, no worries. Feel free to check out our other guides and blog posts. Good luck!